The large majority of Singapore aerobics instructors and group exercise instructors leading exercise-to-music classes in studios across the island are top-notch professionals – no doubt about that.
In fact, many of Singapore’s top group exercise instructors are competent fitness professionals who are greatly admired and appreciated by their satisfied students and clients from all ends of the island.
Unfortunately, as in all things, there is always a group of ‘black sheep’ that seems intent on giving the group exercise industry a BAD name.
The list below (albeit written tongue-in-cheek) profiles some of Singapore’s worst aerobics instructors and group exercise instructors.
As a Private Consumer – do make sure that no matter what you do – AVOID joining the class/classes led by any of the following kinds of instructors:
The Perpetual Screamer
– can’t survive without screaming or yelling their heads off into the mike,
– somehow believes that everyone else is hard of hearing, except Self,
– loves hearing own voice projections through the mike,
– leaves everyone with a earache or headache by the end of the class.
– close cousin of the ‘screamer’,
– has a knack of upping the volume of the sound system to MAXIMUM,
– addicted to the sound of LOUD music BLARING away in the background
– somehow equates teaching ability to LOUDNESS of music,
– major cause of long-term hearing loss for unfortunate participants.
The Energizer Bunny
– full of energy; never seems to tire,
– expects ALL class participants to be of the SAME fitness level as self,
– conducts classes at ALL-OUT intensity,
– chides anyone who fails to keep up with the class tempo,
– fails to take into account new participants or those with lower fitness levels.
– regurgitates the SAME choreography or SAME music umpteen times,
– simply too lazy or too indifferent to source for NEW routines/music,
– convinced that participants do not mind familiarity or repetition,
– number ONE cause of class boredom for participants.
The Absolute Disaster
– CAN’T seem to remember exercise steps or choreography,
– CAN”t seem to follow musical beats,
– doesn’t know how to cue or instruct an exercise class,
– afraid of standing in front of class,
– looks confused and lost,
– leaves participants confused and lost.
– loves to use sophisticated and complex steps in choreography,
– more concerned with ‘impressing’ people than anything else,
– self-absorbed in own ‘performance’ in front of class ,
– cannot understand why class has difficulty following the routine,
– gets irked by members who seem ‘lost’ during the routine.
The Out-Of-Shape Instructor
– often underweight/overweight/unfit,
– in worse physical condition than some class participants,
– often out-of-breath and in need of breaks while leading the class,
– in denial of own physical state.
Well, there you have it – the various kinds of aerobics instructors and group exercise instructors in Singapore that you should AVOID at all costs!
Fortunately, the number of exemplary and first-class Aerobics Instructors and Group Exercise Instructors here in Singapore still outnumber the bad hats in the industry by far.
To check out some of Singapore’s Finest Aerobics and Group Exercise Instructors, do visit www.SingaporeFitnessNetwork.com now.
Also, if you think we have missed out on other examples or categories, or would simply like to add some of your own, please feel free to send us your comments too!
We look forward to hearing from each and every one of you!